Innovation In Daylighting
Solatube technology is a natural daylighting system that is designed to bring bright and beautiful natural light into interior spaces. The system consists of a specially designed roof dome that captures low angle sunlight and Spectralight Infinity tubing, which is 99.7% reflective. The roof dome captures sunlight and directs it through the Spectralight Infinity tubing to the interior of the room. The tubing is highly reflective and minimizes the loss of brightness as the light travels, bringing in up to four times more light than a traditional skylight. The natural light produced by Solatube is bright and beautiful, but without the heat of a traditional skylight, making it a great solution for energy-efficient lighting. The bright and natural light from Solatube helps improve indoor comfort, and reduces the need for artificial lighting.
Things to know before you buy
If you’ve never heard of a Tubular Daylighting Device (TDD) before, you’ve come to the right place. Below you’ll learn what a TDD is, why you might want to consider purchasing one, and what to look for when shopping.
What is a Tubular Daylighting Device?
Our Solatube Daylighting Systems are known as Tubular Daylighting Devices (TDDs). They capture sunlight using a rooftop dome, then transfer it indoors through a reflective tube that runs from the roof to the ceiling. From there, the light is evenly dispersed into the interior space using a diffuser.
While tubular daylighting devices are sometimes referred to as “tubular skylights,” “sun pipes” and “light tunnels,” Solatube Daylighting Systems are more advanced and complex than these names imply. They are the only high-performance daylighting devices that use patented optical technologies to significantly improve the way daylight is harnessed and delivered to interiors. And unlike traditional skylights, they do not require reframing, drywalling, tunneling or repainting or days to install. Instead they can be installed in about two hours with little mess or disruption, and at a fraction of the cost.
Why purchase a Tubular Daylighting Device?
- It provides exceptional lighting. The light output of a TDD is incredible, providing the same amount of light you would expect from a skylight many times its size.
- It is cost-effective. Product and installation costs for a TDD are considerably less than other daylighting options, such as windows and skylights.
- Installation is fast, clean and easy. TDDs require no structural reframing, tunneling, drywalling or painting. A professional can install the product in less than two hours and most do-it-yourselfers can finish the project in one day.
- It can go almost anywhere. The compact and flexible design of TDDs allow them to be installed in just about any interior, including small spaces or locations on lower floors where daylighting would usually not be an option.
- It is "green." TDDs allow you to switch off electric lights during the day, which reduces energy bills and environmental pollution.
- It is actually good for you. It has been shown in several prominent studies that daily exposure to natural light can enhance mental and physical well-being, boost concentration and energy levels, and offer a variety of other unexpected perks.
What should you look for in a Tubular Daylighting Device?
Buy the brand name
Solatube International, Inc. is the best-known brand in the industry, and our products are unparalleled for their quality, performance and innovation. Installing a Solatube Daylighting System ensures that you have a product that utilizes the most advanced technology available. Lesser brands simply fail to perform to the same standard.
Seek the best light quality
Technology makes a tremendous difference in lighting performance. Solatube products are the only ones that utilize advanced optical devices such as Raybender® 3000 Technology and Spectralight® Infinity, a revolutionary reflective tubing material that transfers more daylight than any other currently used in the industry. With Solatube Daylighting Systems, all you see is the brightest, cleanest and whitest natural light possible.
Look for the ENERGY STAR® label
This widely-recognized, enhanced energy-efficiency rating means that the product has met the stringent requirements of the Energy Star program through the U.S. Department of Energy and the Environmental Protection Agency.
Cutting corners may save a few bucks on the front end, but it could put you at risk for expensive repairs down the road. Solatube Daylighting Systems include a leakproof design with an innovative moisture control system that ensures an air- and water-tight installation for ultimate peace of mind.
A TDD can be installed almost anywhere, including tight spaces and areas without direct roof access. Solatube International takes this flexibility further by offering a zero-to-90-degree extension tube that can accommodate even the trickiest of installation challenges without compromising lighting performance.
Factor in function*
Solatube Daylighting Systems can be customized with a Light Add-On Kit for nighttime lighting, a Ventilation Add-On Kit for humidity dispersion, and a revolutionary Daylight Dimmer that features a patented butterfly baffle for adjusting sunlight levels at the flip of the switch.
Beauty counts too*
Don’t settle for one-size-fits-all models. Our Solatube Decorative Fixtures feature a variety of styles, which offer a unique look at the ceiling level while allowing for a customized daylighting experience.